Freedom of Information
Freedom of Information Act 2000
Carpenters Optometrists Limited (Carpenters Optometrists and Lovat Short Optometrists) provide this guide as required by the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
This is a complete guide to the information routinely made available to the public by Carpenters Optometrists. It is a description of the information about our NHS services that we make publicly available. It will be reviewed at regular intervals.
How much does it cost?
The publications are free unless otherwise indicated.
How is the information made available?
The information within each group is available in hard copy from:
184a High Street
Your Rights to Information
The Freedom of Information Act 2000 is designed to promote openness and accountability amongst all organisations that receive public money.
Like all NHS contractors, since 1 January 2005 there has been a FOI obligation on opticians’ and optometrists’ practices to respond to requests about the NHS related information that it holds, and a right of access to that information has been established in law.
These rights are subject to some exemptions that have to be taken into consideration before releasing information.
In addition to accessing the information identified in this guide, you are entitled to request information about our NHS services under the NHS Openness Code 1995.
Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you are also entitled to access your clinical records or any other personal information held about you and you can contact any practice where your records are held to do this.
If you have any comments about the operation of the Publication Scheme, or how we have dealt with your request for information from the scheme, please write to:
184a High Street
All NHS information at Carpenters Optometrists is held, retained and destroyed within NHS guidelines. Our commitment to publish information excludes any information that can be legitimately withheld under the exemptions set out in the NHS Openness Code or Freedom of Information Act 2000. From 2005, individual groups are subject to exemptions, the main reasons being the protection of commercial interests and personal information under the Data Protection Act 1998. This guide has been written in accordance with those exemptions. The information on this Scheme is grouped into the following categories:
- Who we are Carpenters Optometrists Limited is the operating company for 2 optical retail stores in the United Kingdom. We are an independant company. A list of branches including contact phone numbers can be found on our website www.carpenters-optometrists.co.uk/contact-us/. Details of the opticians and optometrists employed in our stores can be obtained by contacting that branch directly. Alternatively, details of all opticians and optometrists registered in the UK are available from the General Optical Council Tel.: 0207 580 3898. Our company Registration number is 06277967.
- Our services Carpenters Optometrists and Lovat Short Optometrists provide free NHS eye tests for those who are eligible. You may also be entitled to vouchers that can be used against the purchase of glasses or contact lenses if you require them. Appointments for eye tests can be booked over the phone, by dropping into your local branch, or on our website www.carpenters-optometrists.co.uk/book-an-eye-test/. Opening times can vary between locations, so please call to confirm.
- Financial and funding information For every eye test performed on behalf of the NHS the opticians practice receives a set fee. This includes a contribution towards optometrists and staff salaries, equipment costs and other business overheads. If you are not eligible for the NHS eye test, please contact your local store for details of our current charges and offers. Further information about Carpenters Optometrists Ltd (rather than about the opticians in its employ) can be obtained from Companies House (www.companieshouse.gov.uk) There will be a fee payable for the production of such information by Companies House which will be advised at the time of enquiry. Such information falls outside the publication scheme, as it is not, in itself, public authority information.
- Regular publications and information for the public Information about eye tests, glasses, contact lenses and optical and ocular conditions can be found on our website, www.carpenters-optometrists.co.uk
- Complaints In the unlikely event that you have a complaint about any of our products or services, please discuss any problems with the manager at the branch concerned.
Carpenters Optometrists Ltd (Carpenters and Lovat Short) obtains personal data (such as names, addresses, and phone numbers) from customers. This data is obtained, stored and processed solely to assist staff in the efficient running of services. Personal details supplied are only used to send material that is potentially useful. Most of this information is stored on the organisation’s database.
Personal data is collected over the phone and using other methods such as e-mail and in person. Written consent is not requested as it is assumed that the consent has been granted when an individual freely gives their own details.
Personal data will not be passed on to anyone outside the organisation without explicit consent from the data owner unless there is a legal duty of disclosure under other legislation, in which case the Managing Director will review the request.
Contact details held on the Carpenters Optometrists Ltd database may be made available to groups/ individuals outside of the Carpenters Optometrists Ltd. Individuals are made aware of when their details are being collected for the database and their verbal or written consent is requested.
Only Carpenters Optometrists Ltd staff will normally have access to personal data. All staff are made aware of the Data Protection Policy and their obligation not to disclose personal data to anyone who is not supposed to have it. Information supplied is kept in a secure filing, paper and electronic system and is only accessed by those individuals involved in the delivery of the service.
Information will not be passed on to anyone outside Carpenters Optometrists Ltd without their explicit consent, excluding statutory bodies e.g. the Inland Revenue.
Individuals will be supplied with a copy of any of their personal data held by the organisation if a request is made.
All confidential post must be opened by the addressee only.
Carpenters Optometrists Ltd will take reasonable steps to keep personal data up to date and accurate. Personal data will be stored for as long as the data customer uses our services and normally longer. Where an individual ceases to use our services and it is not deemed appropriate to keep their records, their records will be destroyed according. However, unless we are specifically asked by an individual to destroy their details,
we will normally keep them on file for future reference.
If a request is received from an individual to destroy their records, we will remove their details from the database and request that all staff holding paper or electronic details for Carpenters Optometrists Ltd destroy them. This work will be carried out by the relevant branch manager.
Personal data may be kept in paper-based systems and on a password-protected computer system. Paper-based data is stored in organised and secure systems. Carpenters Optometrists Ltd operates a clear desk policy at all times.
Use of Photographs
Where practicable, Carpenters Optometrists Ltd will seek consent of individuals before displaying photographs in which they appear. If this is not possible (for example, a large group photo), Carpenters Optometrists Ltd will remove any photograph if a complaint is received. This policy also applies to photographs published on the Carpenters Optometrists Ltd website or in the Newsletter.
Compliance with the Act is the responsibility of all staff, paid or unpaid. Carpenters Optometrists Ltd will regard any unlawful breach of any provision of the Act by any staff, paid or unpaid, as a serious matter which will result in disciplinary action.
Carpenters Optometrists Ltd is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Carpenters Optometrists Ltd may change this policy by updating this page, you should therefore check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 14.6.13.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Contact information including e-mail address
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and / or offers
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional e-mails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the e-mail address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by e-mail, phone or post.
- We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
The Help menu on the menu bar of most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie and how to disable cookies altogether. If it is not clear how your browser allows you to control cookies you should visit the manufacturers website.